Our history
Early 20th century – The island
Up until the early 1900s, the area where the campsite stands today did not exist or, more accurately, what is now its southernmost tip was actually an island. Its existence is known only through maps dating back to the previous century, while its final fate – although there are no reliable sources – is most likely linked to the extension of the existing tramway northwards, which led to the reclamation of the entire area and the island being joined to the mainland.
1917 – The tramway
The entire area was in fact needed for the construction of a transhipment station for goods, moved from trams to boats sailing on the lake and vice versa. The station with its adjoining landing stage was located in the part of the campsite currently occupied by the swimming pool. It can be admired inside our bar in one of the most iconic snapshots of this historical period of the place. The tramway was gradually built starting in 1881 to connect the provincial capital of Brescia with the upper valley for both passenger and freight services. It was then used for military purposes during the First World War and was intended to be extended to the northern end of the lake, which at the time was the border between the Kingdom of Italy and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The Vestone-Idro section, of which the Gròtole freight yard was the end station and the northernmost point reached, was designed and built during the conflict.
1929/1930 – The auction
With the gradual dismantling of tram networks throughout the province, the section inaugurated a decade earlier was one of the first to be closed down, and some of the areas occupied by the railway tracks were put up for auction by the local city council. This is how Silvio Gasparini (1897-1954) acquired ownership of the land and also of the building that still houses the adjacent trattoria. His intention was to run the restaurant on the ground floor, create a home for his family on the upper floors and use the vast lawn for farming activities such as wheat cultivation and small-scale livestock breeding.
1959 – The foundation of the campsite
Thirty years later, the picturesque location of the land right on the lake shore attracted the interest of Dutchman Cornelius Vogelezang who, together with his sons Albert and Harry, proposed to the new heirs Leandro Gasparini (1926-2014) and his wife Olga (1927-2010), to build a campsite on it. With great foresight, for a sector that was already well established in Northern Europe but still in its initial stages in our part of the world, they managed the business on a rental basis for several years until, thanks to the excellent response in terms of visitor numbers mainly from their country of origin, they asked the two owners to purchase the entire property.
1967 – The change in management
Olga and Leandro, with four children to support and therefore in need of a suitable source of income, decided not only to decline the offer but to take over the management of the tourist facility themselves. It was a real challenge for them, both because they had no experience in the sector and because their knowledge of foreign languages was limited to the French that Leandro had learned during his school years in France, where he was born and spent his childhood, before his family returned to Italy for good. This marked the beginning of the history of the Gasparini family's Camping Venus. In the spirit of continuity, it was decided not to change the name given by the previous managers.
End of the seventies – The expansion
Whatever difficulties there may have been, they were brilliantly overcome by the couple, to the extent that after just a few years, the business was doing so well that it was necessary to expand the available space by purchasing a piece of neighbouring land to the north. At the same time, a second sanitary block was built and the campsite was adapted to the modern needs of campers by creating pitches with clearly defined sizes and borders. Until then, there had been no space restrictions and guests were free to choose where to place their tents. In just a few years, more than a hundred new trees were planted, which, in addition to serving as border markers, provide the necessary shade and are the most visible feature of the entire campsite.
1998 – The second generation
Of Olga and Leandro's four children, it was the three youngest who took over the management of the company: Silvia (1954), Adriano (1959) and Diana (1960) were taking care of all the work tasks themselves, just like their parents. From welcoming customers to maintenance, from managing the bar and shop to accounting, they helped to sustain that family atmosphere that is still very much felt and appreciated by our guests today.
2000/2006 – Renovation period
The early years of the new millennium were a time of substantial change: the main sanitary block was renovated first, followed by the extension of the second four years later. The entrance to the campsite was also improved by widening the road to facilitate the passage of caravans and campervans, that increased in number and size compared to the early decades of the campsite's activity, when almost all campers travelled by car or motorbike with tents in tow. The few caravans on the road were small in size and the only campervans on the road were the famous and less bulky Volkswagen vans called Bulli. However, the most important intervention was the construction of a swimming pool on the lakeside area near the playground, originally occupied by a number of pitches, which was inaugurated at the beginning of the 2006 season.
2017 – The fiftieth anniversary
The first day of August 2017 was the date chosen to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the Gasparini family's ownership of the campsite. It was an occasion for a special party with inflatable games for children, music, refreshments and, of course, the cutting of the anniversary cake, involving all the guests present, some of whom are so fond of this place that they have been regular visitors for years or even decades.
2023 – The third generation
Matteo and Paola, the children of Adriano and Silvia, have become the third generation of the family to take over the management of the campsite, after spending many of their summers actively helping out and taking on increasingly important tasks and responsibilities over the years. They turned what was once a job to complement their studies into their main occupation, just as their parents, uncle and aunts had done with their grandparents. The first year of the two cousins coincided with the celebration of another important anniversary: Koos, a loyal guest from the Netherlands, celebrated sixty years since his first of a long and uninterrupted series of stays at our campsite (more than a month every summer), most of them on his favourite pitch, number 108. To mark the occasion, we awarded him with a commemorative plaque and the Mayor of Idro handed him a certificate of recognition.